We got all of the fencing done, apart from the top rail on the short side of the fence. We were missing two extra braces we needed to attach the top rail to the end posts, but Barry picked those up later in the week, so now we have what we need.
Once the fence was complete we let the chickens out to explore their new run area. This is as far as they strayed from their coop. 🙂
They were a little hesitant about it, but it was also pretty chilly outside that day.
We also have plans to bury chicken wire in the ground around the perimeter of the fence, and attach it to the bottom of the chain link to keep the dogs (and other predators) from digging under. The dogs, Scout in particular, have also been really bad about going under the chicken coop. So we have plans to bury some hog wire in the ground and attach it to the bottom of the coop.
In order to do this, we had to dig a trench around the building to bury the wire. I dug the trench all by myself! I’m proud of my work.
In the process of digging the trench I found lots of interesting things. Apparently the people who lived here before us just threw whatever they wanted to get rid of under the building. I found lots of bricks, a car battery, and lots of scrap wood with various nails and screws sticking out.