A Day In The Life

I always enjoy reading this type of post when other bloggers do one, so I decided to give it a try. Yesterday was a pretty average weekday….

6:45 AM – Alarm goes off. I’m feeling sleepy and don’t get out of bed until 6:55 AM.

6:55 – 7:10 AM – Get ready for work (hair, teeth, clothes, all that stuff).

7:10 – 7:30 AM – Feed the dogs. Get dinner ready for the crock pot. I’m trying a new recipe with butternut squash, and the squash took longer to cut up than I expected. I rush to pack my lunch and eat a really quick breakfast. I grab a small muffin (Barry made himself muffins for breakfast, and left me one!) and eat a banana. Scout loves bananas, so she begs for some. I give in, as always, and give her a piece. Hank gets a small piece, too, although he doesn’t really care for them.


My morning was a bit more rushed than usual. Typically, I actually sit down to eat breakfast and watch a little of the morning news while I drink my coffee. This morning, my coffee just goes straight from the pot to a travel mug to take with me.

7:30 AM – Begin work in my home office. Usually I spend 30 minutes to an hour answering emails, making phone calls, etc. Today I have to just get my stuff together and head out the door. I say bye to Barry and the dogs on my way out. Most days Barry leaves the house around 5:30 AM for work, but a few days he leaves at 8:00 AM. This is one of those days, so I beat him out the door.

7:45 AM – 1:15 PM – Work in the field. I take my first, and probably last, work selfie.


1:15 PM to 1:45 PM – Eat lunch in my work vehicle. I typically work by myself each day, so 90% of the time this is how I have my lunch. Despite being excited for fall, I’m still eating my favorite ‘summer salad’ – grilled chicken, diced apple, dried cranberries, blue cheese, and poppy seed dressing on a bed of romaine.


1:45 PM – 5:00 PM – More field work.

5:00 – 5:30 PM – Return home. Barry is already home and already let the dogs out and back in. I put dinner #1 down for them (they eat two dinners ever since Hank’s crisis) and wrap up the work day in my home office. Once the dogs finish eating, they keep me company in my office.


At 5:30 it’s the end of the work day and the start of the weekend! I usually work four 10 hour days ending at 6:00 PM each day, but today I finish at 5:30 since I’ve already hit 40 hours for the week.

5:30 – 6:00 PM – I unpack my lunchbox, talk to Barry, play with the dogs, then get changed to go for a run.

6:00 – 6:45 PM – Drive over to a nearby park for a 3 mile run. This was my first run since the Hokie Half, and it went alright. Nothing spectacular. It’s a nice evening, and I drive home with the windows down enjoying the weather.


6:45 – 8:45 PM – When I get home, I feed the chickens some kitchen scraps (normally I would also collect eggs but Barry already got them) and get the mail and paper. Then I make some couscous to go with our rosemary chicken butternut squash, and we eat. The new recipe turns out really good! It wasn’t super photogenic, so instead here’s a picture of the gorgeous sunset we enjoyed during dinner.

#nofilter and all that

After dinner I grab a shower and then do the dishes, while Barry gives the dogs dinner #2.

8:45 – 9:45 PM – Write this post and watch Modern Family with Barry. Then kiss Barry goodnight as he heads to bed.

9:45 – 10:30 PM – Let the dogs out. Read a couple chapters of my book. Currently, I’m reading As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka. My Kindle recommended it to me, based on other book purchases. It’s a little strange, but I’m starting to get into it. I let the dogs back inside and get ready for bed.

10:30 PM – Bedtime. Goodnight!

And there you have it! I don’t feel like my typical day is all that interesting, so hopefully I didn’t put you to sleep!

What is a typical day in your life like?

12 thoughts on “A Day In The Life”

  1. I like your run spot! Your dogs are so cute 🙂
    My days are not really too exciting, but they feel busy. I always wish I had more time for me in my days, I do work out, but I am often rushing because I have to shower for work… or get to the store sigh, all those fun life things…

    1. Being an adult is no fun sometimes! Often it feels like I’m simultaneously rushing and super busy, but also not really doing anything all that exciting all day.

    1. Thanks! I often feel rushed during the day, yet feel like I didn’t really do anything. But typing all of that out made me realize I do have a lot going on 🙂

    1. Not during my day-to-day work, even though I can be driving up to 6 hours in a day. But on the days when I have to go to Richmond or over to the coast it’s a lot harder! Windows down and music up 🙂

What's on your mind?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s