Conquer the Cove 25K – Race Report

I have gotten a bit behind on blogging and way behind on reading other blogs. Sorry! Life has just gotten crazy lately and I’ve been on the road a lot and busy at work the past few weeks. I’ll get caught up ๐Ÿ™‚ In the meantime, here is my race report from the Conquer the Cove trail race that I ran on Sunday, June 5. This post is part of the Weekly Wrap linkup, hosted by Tricia @MissSippiPiddlin’ and Holly @HoHo Runs.


So, as I mentioned last week, I ran the CtC 25K trail race last weekend. It is a tough race with two big climbs and this year many of us (including me!) had the bonus of black bear encounters on the course. But more on that in a minute. This race is held at Carvins Cove Natural Reserve, which is the second largest municipal park in the nation. It’s the anchor event to the Mountain Junkies Roanoke Non-Ultra Trail Series and it offers both 25K and marathon distances. Both races start early, at 6:30 AM, to beat the heat. This year wasn’t terribly hot (low 70’s), but it was very very humid.

Race headquarters and the start/finish area: Loch Haven Lake. Very hazy and humid.

My morning started early, around 3:30 AM, and by 4:45 AM Barry and I were on the road to Roanoke. Although he wasn’t racing, Barry decide to tag along and run some of the final miles with me. We arrived, got parked, and then I got my bib and race packet. This years ‘swag’ also included a bandana with the race maps and elevation profiles.


We had the prerace meeting where we got to find out about the race before the race ๐Ÿ˜‰ This was my third year running the race, so I’m very familiar with the course. Josh, the race director, reminded us to be sure that a wildlife sighting on the course (bear, snake, etc.) was actually real before freaking out. He also added that there had been extra bear activity in the area lately, but unless we were in the lead pack we were unlikely to encounter any. Shortly thereafter, we were off and running!


The first mile and a half or so were on a road. Starting out I felt stiff and my legs felt heavy. But I knew I had miles to go (the race measures somewhere between 15 and 16 miles) and that I had plenty of time to settle in. It wasn’t long before we entered the Cove and turned onto some lush singletrack.


Not long after getting on the trail we began a steep, 1.1 mile climb. It was the first of two major climbs during the race, and it’s a tough one.

I bet you can guess which way we turned for the climb.
I bet you can guess which way we turned for the climb.

I hiked the whole climb, for the most part, and let me tell you I was not feeling great. My calves were on fire, my heart rate was much higher than I wanted it to be, and mentally I was not feeling it. But I continued on.


Finally, we popped out onto the fire road and had a gradual, rocky descent into aid station 1 (mile 2.8). I cruised through, thanking the volunteers on my way by, and was soon back on single track trail. This next section has a lot of downhill and flat sections. Some sections are fairly technical, but others are very runnable.


This section also has many old, burned tree stumps (from a past fire) that are really good at pretending to be bears. I always laugh at them… but little did I know I would be seeing a much more real bear this year.

Hold your freak out… it’s just a tree stump-variety bear

The stretch between aid station 1 and aid station 2 (mile 8) is about 5 miles, and for some reason it always feels long to me. I still was not feeling this run at all, but I had hooked up with 2-3 other women and was enjoying their company.

Fake it till you make it. PC: Mountain Junkies

The camaraderie and good conversation carried me to aid station 2, which sits at the base of the next big climb – about 1,000 feet over 2.5 miles on a fire road.

2,400 feet in elevation gain; 4,800 feet in total elevation change

The group I had been running with broke up, as we all left the aid station at different times, to begin the climb up Brushy Mountain. I went back and forth with a few people (we were hiking and running at different times) and we occasionally exchanged words. This climb can feel very long, and the best thing you can do is just keep moving. It was also very foggy/hazy on the mountain, which made it kind of spooky.


The fog made it hard to see very far in front of me and also made it hard to see into the woods on either side. Around mile 9.5, I heard a loud rustling off to my left down a steep hill. I slowed and looked down into the woods but I couldn’t see anything. Not too far behind me was a woman named Lori, who I had run with on and off since mile 6 or so. I could see she had heard the noise, too, as she was also looking down into the woods. I felt a little anxious, but told myself it was probably a squirrel like usual, and kept going. Then all of a sudden a young black bear comes running out of the woods from the right. He stopped right in front of me on the fire road, looked at me for about 2-3 seconds, and then took off down into the woods toward where I had heard the loud noise just moments ago. I had stopped dead on the trail, and then as he was running into the woods I was backing toward Lori. Luckily, she was close enough to see the whole thing, so I had a witness ๐Ÿ™‚ No picture, as it happened very quickly and I was too busy trying to figure out if I was about to be eaten or not. But he looked very similar to this bear my friend captured on his trail cam recently:

The one I saw was a bit bigger than this little guy.
The one I saw was a bit bigger than this little guy.

Lori and I stuck together after that, and it wasn’t until we moved further up the trail that I realized the young bear was definitely young enough to still be with mamma (he wasn’t more than 2 years old) and that it was probably her we heard in the woods. That means that we were briefly between her and her baby. Yikes! The fog got thicker as Lori and I climbed, and it unnerved us a little bit. But we did feel safer together and we took turns making random noises and clapping every now and then to make sure we didn’t startle anything. That distracted us from the climb and it wasn’t long until we were rolling into the next aid station around mile 11.

I am in the pink, another girl who caught up to us is in the blue, and Lori is just behind me in the black. PC: Mountain Junkies

I knew we were in for a 2.1 mile technical descent, so I only ate a few orange slices at the aid station since my stomach gets upset during long downhill sections. Each of the aid stations after the first one is stocked like an ultra (candy, chocolate, potato chips, fruit, etc.) which I always appreciate ๐Ÿ™‚ We heard that many other runners who had come through were also reporting bear sightings. Lori and I had already decided we would part ways after the aid station, but we stayed relatively close as we headed down the Gauntlet trail. We were still occasionally making our ‘bear noises’ just in case. It had felt fairly cool at the top of the mountain, but the more we ran downhill the hotter and more humid it became.


Finally, after mile 12 (and with a little over 3.5 miles to go) a switch flipped in my head and I was ready to run! Good grief, it took long enough! And then Barry showed up ๐Ÿ™‚ He had taken a nap and then started running the course in reverse from the finish line toward me. Lori and I were still running together and he joined us. He got a kick out of the ‘bear noises” I was still occasionally making, and would laugh every time I made a little “woop woop” noise. Since I was feeling good, I started to naturally pull away from Lori. We wished each other well as Barry and I headed down the trail. I was relieved to make it down Gauntlet without falling or twisting my ankle, as we turned onto an old access road.

A little over a mile later, I was back out on the paved road where the race had begun. I was tired, but still feeling fairly fresh thanks to taking it easy during the race. But I was also ready to be done. Barry and I turned off of the road onto some more single track. It was here that I encountered the only mud of the day as I made my way back towards Loch Haven Lake and the finish line.

PC: Mountain Junkies

I crossed the line in 4:09:15 – my slowest time ever at this race. But my goals going into it were to finish feeling fairly fresh, to do some climbing, and to get some time on my feet. I accomplished all of those goals. After finishing, I collected my finisher’s medal from Gina, Mountain Junkie extraordinaire. I promptly asked her where my additional bear medal was, and she laughed out loud. ๐Ÿ™‚ From there it was time to go in the lake! And with the heat and humidity, it felt oh so good.


Barry and I hung out in the relaxed atmosphere around the finish line and I soaked my feet in the lake while we cheered in other runners, including Lori! We made sure to get a picture afterward, because how can you not after sharing several miles and a black bear encounter?

PC: Lori

There is always a great post-race food spread at Mountain Junkies races, and this one in particular also has a cookout. I enjoyed a burger, some grapes, and crackers with hummus along with ice cold Gatorade. Yum! Then it was time for Barry and me to hit the road and head home. It wasn’t even noon, yet, and I was in desperate need of a nap!

What types of wildlife do you have in your area?
What is the earliest you have ever gotten up for a race?

14 thoughts on “Conquer the Cove 25K – Race Report”

  1. Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh My…
    Think I will stick with the occasional snake. At least they run the other direction.


  2. I love Conquer the Cove!!! I’m jealous. ๐Ÿ™‚ Can’t believe you saw a bear with so many people around. That’s crazy. A little scary, but very cool.

    I definitely plan to be there next year. It is probably my favorite race.

    The lake and awesome post-race food really add a lot.


    1. It was crazy how many people had bear sightings this year! They are definitely more active than in years past. But still, very unusual with so much activity going on in the woods – usually it would only be the front runners who would have a chance encounter with a bear.

  3. Great job on this race! I ran into a baby black bear on the trail last fall. Well, I scared it up a tree, and definitely did not stick around to see if mama bear was nearby!

    1. The only other bear encounter I had was scaring one up a tree, too. It is kind of neat to see them in their normal habitat, but I wouldn’t mind if I don’t have another bear sighting again for awhile!

  4. Between the spooky/misty trails and the bear encounter, sounds like an incredibly memorable race! It’s good to see that it’s possible to “wake up” and feel like running so late into a race or run. Since I’ll soon be running longer than I ever have before, that’s good to know!

    1. Definitely don’t give up on a race, even if you’re not feeling it for the first 2+ hours. It’s true that it doesn’t always get worse, and sometimes if you just hang tough long enough your body/mind will get with the program.

  5. Hey Hey Meagan,
    hope you are doing well!!!

    Thank you for the awesome race report!

    Must say I have not really run into much wildlife other than a few deer on Grouse Mountain, they like it up there after most of the tourists have left. Also, pretty sure I saw one bear up there one night, but moved out of sight to soon to tell.

    As for earliest I have gotten up for a race, I would say 5:30 am for my first 100 miler attempt at Badger Mnt.

    Glad everything worked out with the bear encounter, sounds like maybe the mamma did not see you, which is always a bonus.

    Congratulations on success for all your goals for the race, that is always a win! Kind of sucks that your body was not interested in running that day until the very end, but such is the way things go sometimes, you will gettem’ next time.

    Have a wonderful day,

    1. Thanks for the comment, Adam! Yea, if mama was out there (and I’m pretty sure she was) I’m really glad she didn’t feel the need to make herself known to me.

  6. I think the bear encounter would definitely unsettle me, especially since he ran right across the road and stopped. Congrats for keeping on! It does look very humid with all that fog. That’s a very cool bandana they gave out. Your elevation chart makes me break out in a cold sweat. LOL. Thanks for linking with us Meagan.

  7. I loved reading about your bear encounter in detail. I just went back and reread our text exchange from that day when you told me about it! Still no bear sightings on any of my runs, but I’ve been carrying my pepper spray and camera just in case!

What's on your mind?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s