This past week I’ve had the flu and I’ve basically been neglecting life in general. That includes completely missing peak week number two so far. However, in honor of my peak training, here’s a list of five things I neglect when training for a goal race:
- Personal maintenance – yes, I still shower daily and after each workout. But things like painting my toenails, plucking my eyebrows, and shaving my legs often fall by the wayside.
- Chores – cleaning the house, doing the dishes, going to the grocery store are not as high on my list of priorities.
- Social interactions – evenings hanging out with friends and time spent with Barry are more limited. But I think Barry does like my training some – it gets me out of his hair for a bit and gives him time to himself 🙂 I’m also a lot worse about commenting on other blogs and replying to comments on my blog. I do still read others blog posts, but it is often on my phone and it’s hard to comment from my phone.
- Sleep – training takes up a lot of time and when I do make time in my day for other things, my bedtime is often the first thing that gets pushed to the back burner.
- Things that support running – this one seems counterintuitive, but when life gets busy and I have a demanding training schedule, things like cross training, stretching, and nutrition are often the first to go. On a busy Saturday, for example, I can be really bad about going from my long run straight to other activities and I won’t stop to eat for hours afterward. Not exactly the best set up for recovery.
What do you neglect during training?