Fall is upon us and I’m excited because it’s my favorite season. One of the reasons it’s my favorite season is because of football. I love sports movies, especially when they are about football. My favorite five all center around high school and college football. In real life, I think those two levels have the players that try the hardest.
1. We Are Marshall – Tells the story of Marshall University rebuilding after a plane crash that killed nearly the entire football team in 1970. There is also actually a Virginia Tech connection to this story – Frank Loria, one of the coaches killed in the plane crash, played football for Tech.
2. Friday Night Lights – A small town obsessed with the high school football team. Although a lot of it is mostly more dramatic than real life, it really captures the excitement of Friday night football.
3. The Blind Side – Based on the true story of Michael Oher being taken in by the Tuohy family, and his eventual success in college football and the NFL.
4. Rudy – Inspirational story of Daniel ‘Rudy’ Ruettiger who never gave up on his dream to play for Notre Dame football. Great story, and I love all of the scenes of Notre Dame game day because they remind me of Tech.
5. Remember The Titans – True story of the football team coming together in newly-integrated T.C. Williams High School in Virginia in 1971. This one is my most favorite football movie. Plus it has one of the best soundtracks out of any sports movie I’ve seen.
Which of these football movies have you seen?
What are your favorite sports-themed movies?
10 thoughts on “Five Things Friday – Football Movies”
I’ve seen We Are Marshall, the Blind Side and Remember the Titans. No one told me the Blind Side starts with Theisman’s leg break. Please, I needed to prep myself.
Uh oh! Yea, they need a warning at the beginning of that movie. So cringe-worthy!
I’ve seen the last 3, but I’m not sure about We Are Marshall and Friday Night Lights. I know it was turned into a TV series…yea, not sure! I loved Rudy and Remember the Titans, and The Blind Side – all great flicks!
I think the FNL movie came before the TV series. You should definitely check out We Are Marshall and Friday Night Lights, though! They’re great.
I’ve seen all but We Are Marshall. We’ll have to look for that one as the last 2 you mentioned are 2 of my hubby’s favorite movies. Is Friday Night Lights a movie or a TV show? We watched the show and loved it, but if it’s a movie as well, I didn’t know that!
I love football season for the weather alone. I also like going to the high school games and wrapping up in a blanket, listening to the announcer, watching the kids…but I’ve only been to a couple of games in the last 20 years!
Oh you have got to check out We Are Marshall! Great movie and story.
Friday Night Lights is both – I think the movie preceded the TV series.
I love Rudy Movie because it is true story of Daniel … I really Loved it…
It’s a good one!
I’ve seen three out of five of the movies you mention (the last three), and love them all. I’ve wanted to see We Are Marshall, but never have. I need to remember to watch that sometime!
You definitely need to watch We Are Marshall! It’s a great movie.