I recently saw this survey on Deb’s blog and thought it would be fun to join in! It’s a running-related survey where you choose your favorite for each category.
1. Location: Trail, Road, or Indoors? This is a tough one for me, because I like all three! At this point, I’d say trails are my favorite. I like the solitude and peacefulness of being out in the woods. They’re also very challenging, and I like the opportunity to make myself a stronger runner while out on the trails.
Roads and indoor tie as my second favorite 🙂 During the week I often spend a lot of time with my treadmill, nicknamed ‘Sven.’ The main reason for this is that I just don’t feel like going back out when I get home from work. I think it’s just a phase I’ve been in this spring, and I don’t expect it to last for forever.
2. Time of Day: Morning, Noon, or Evening? During the week, my favorite time to run is evening. But on the weekend I definitely prefer mornings. It can be hard to get up, but I love being out there and feeling like the rest of the world is still sleeping. 3. Weather: Sunshine, Mild, or Hot? My ideal weather is April 25. Just kidding 🙂 Actually, my favorite is mid-40’s, and partly cloudy. Perfect weather for capris and either a t-shirt or a light long sleeve.
4. Fuel: Before, After, and Sometimes During? Before: typically a Power Bar or Luna Bar. I also occasionally will eat a Honey Stinger Waffle as a light snack about 30 minutes before a long race. Before a full marathon or a half marathon that I expect may take awhile, I eat a pancake with a light smear of peanut butter.
After: Whatever sound good – usually eggs and coffee.
During: I almost always have water with me, because I like having water to sip on whenever I want it 🙂 Apart from that my favorite running fuel lately is Root Beer and Salted Caramel flavored GU’s. 5. Accessories: Music, Watch, and More? Years ago, I ran with music all of the time. I absolutely had to have it on long runs, and I usually had it for all of my runs. But over the past couple of years I have pretty much stopped listening to music. I like just hearing what’s around me.
However, I do love my Garmin. I have to know, down to the hundredth of a mile, how far I ran! I’m also a big fan of my handheld water bottle and my hydration vest. I typically have one or the other with me during most outdoor runs.
6. Rewards: Food, Wine, or….?
It’s hard to say on this one. I don’t typically plan any sort of “reward” that’s food or beverage related after a run or race. Sometimes during a long run I’ll plan what I want for breakfast. After races, I often have other fun plans, so I guess those are kind of like rewards?
7. Type of Run: Long, Tempo, Intervals, Hill Repeats, Progression, Recovery/Easy?
Long runs are currently favorite, because they’re my social hour (or two…) with my running buddy, Kim. We’ve been running together since fall 2012, and I look forward to these runs each week.
That being said, I have a second favorite type of run. While I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon last fall, I used the Hansons Method. My favorite workouts during training were the longer track workouts (5 x 1K and 4 x 1200m) and the intervals (despite calling them crazy for prescribing those workouts). I always felt my strongest during these workouts.
The longer the interval, the more I enjoyed it. They were tough, but I felt so accomplished at the end of each one. That probably means I should consider introducing them into my regular training!
Your turn! Join in on the fun and fill out the survey. I’d love to see your responses!
What are some of your favorite workout-related things?
8 thoughts on “These Are A Few of My Favorite Things…”
I like to mix it up, but if I run it is almost exclusively on the treadmill. Can’t handle the pounding anymore.
The rest of the survey is a big whatever. No routine just take it as it comes.
Treadmill are good for less pounding. I did a lot of running on the treadmill during marathon training to keep my shins healthy.
I like to run outside and if I’m on vacation – even better! I like all of the different flavors that GU offers, but sometimes my favorite is the pretty ordinary strawberry banana.
It’s always fun exploring a new place on foot. But I also enjoy running on vacation at a place I’ve been to before (like at the beach each year), because it’s familiar but I haven’t been there in awhile.
I’m all about the trails 🙂
Make room on your schedule for a Mountain Junkies RNUTS race or two. You will love them!
So fun that you participated! Trails have also become my favorite, and soon, you and I are going to be spending lots of time on some gorgeous trails in West Virginia! 🙂
Less than a month! Eeeeeeek!